Middle-Eastern baked eggs recipe
For a quick and easy brunch dish, try this rustic baked egg recipe made with vibrant red peppers, spicy chilli and fragrant turmeric and saffron
A beautiful yet simple Middle-Eastern inspired recipe that’s packed with flavour.
Prep Time 5 mins
Cook Time 30 mins
Total Time 35 mins
Servings: 4 people
Calories: 225 kcal
Author: Jordan Love
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 red peppers, seeded and sliced into thin strips
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 pinch saffron (optional)
- 390 g carton chopped tomatoes with garlic and olive oil
- 3 tbsp chopped coriander
- 4 medium eggs
- toasted pitta, to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Heat the olive oil in a large, ovenproof frying pan. Add the onion and chilli and cook for 2-3 minutes, until starting to soften.
- Add the peppers, garlic and spices, then cover (see tip, below) and cook for 10-12 minutes, until the peppers have softened. Pour in the tomatoes and continue cooking for 6-8 minutes, until the tomatoes have thickened slightly. Season to taste and stir through 2 tbsp of the coriander.
- Using a spoon, make four holes in the tomato mixture and crack an egg into each. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, until the eggs have just set. Scatter over the remaining coriander and serve with the pitta for dipping, if you like