About Sean Burgess
How SB Fitness started
Hi, my name is Sean Burgess. I am an exercise specialist who operates underneath the title of many different professional roles, inclusive of a personal trainer, strength and conditioning coach, academic lecturer, injury therapist and sports coach. To give you some background about my career journey, I first qualified and started working in the fitness industry back in 2006 as an instructor within my local council run gym in Hertfordshire. However, it wasn’t until 2010 a couple years into my academic studies at Bournemouth University that I decided to officially start my own business.
Pleasingly the decision was immediately justified, as I was able to quickly build a large and very loyal client base within the commercial gym where I was based. Fast forward to the present day and I am still a very active trainer that continues to work closely with a large demographic range of the general public. This is in addition to coaching many ambitious amateur and professional athletes who are focused on improving their competitive performance. To date just some of my sporting success stories include working with international athletes in athletics, fencing, football, lacrosse, netball, rowing, rugby union, sailing and triathlon to national and regional champions in golf, gymnastics, kickboxing, swimming and weightlifting.
In addition, to the high performance achievements listed above there has also been many life changing body composition transformations amongst my clients as well. Varying over the years from some individuals losing between 5 and 10 stone in weight, to others gaining 20 or more kilograms in muscle. Outside of these specific goals I have also led hundreds of individuals through a number of personalised rehabilitation programmes and helped many others successfully complete a diverse mix of fitness challenges.
Prior to my current self-managed roles, I spent some considerable time coaching in amateur sport whilst building up strength and conditioning experience at an elite level within Enfield Haringey Athletics club, Bournemouth Football Club and Rugby Union clubs including London Wasps, London Welsh, Saracens and Bournemouth RFC.
Not disregarding the vast amounts that I learnt within all of these previous positions and the large number of continually acquired qualifications listed towards the bottom of this page. I officially became an accredited exercise specialist in academic terms back in 2013 after graduating with a master’s degree in Sports Science Strength and Conditioning.
Achieve Your Potential
As you will hopefully learn for yourself, I am as passionate now about helping any client, small group or team achieve their desired goals than I ever have been.
You can also be rest assured that all of my other trainers share this same enthusiasm and strive like myself to keep seeking further improvement in themselves to attain even greater results with their clients.
To book a free 30 minute personal training taster session please fill in and then submit the short form underneath the qualification lists below.
- MSc Sports Science Strength and Conditioning (Middlesex University)
- BSc (Hons) Sports Management (Bournemouth University)
FITNESS / STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING QUALIFICATIONS
- UKSCA Strength & Conditioning Coach Accreditation
- Active IQ Personal Trainer – REPS Level 3
- BWLA Level 1 Award in Coaching Weightlifting
- BWLA Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Weightlifting
- ISAK Level 1 (Kinanthropometry)
- Faster Health and Fitness Advanced Functional Trainer – Level 4 Reps Entry
- SAQ P Award
- Paul Chek Scientific Core Conditioning
- Juice Performance Olympic Lifting Instructor Course
- Discovery Learning Certificate in Sports Nutrition
FITNESS CPD QUALIFICATIONS
- Active IQ Level 3 Award in Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector’
- Principles of assessment in lifelong learning (Level 3)
- Related Achievement (QCF)
- Premier Training Certificate in Exercise Prescription for Pre and Post Natal Clients
- Premier Training Certificate in Exercise Referral
- Discovery Learning Certificate in Spinning
- Discovery Learning Certificate in Circuit Training
- Discovery Learning Certificate in Water Based Exercise (Aqua)
- WABBA Qualifications Advanced Fitness Instructor (Recognised REPS Level 3)
- WABBA Qualifications Fitness Instructor Certificate
- Active IQ Level 2 Fitness Instructor
SPORTS THERAPY / MASSAGE QUALIFICATIONS
- NASM Corrective Exercise Specialist – Level 4 Reps Entry
- Active IQ Level 3 Certificate in Sports Massage (Soft Tissue Therapy)
- Sports Therapy UK Medical Acupuncture and Dry Needling Qualification
- Cor-Kinetic Functional Therapeutic Movement: Assessment and Rehab
- John Gibbons Bodymaster Method Courses in…
Cervical Spine Masterclass, Spinal Manipulation (Basic and Advanced), Neurological Testing, The Vital Shoulder Joint and Muscle Energy Techniques.
- Sports Therapy UK Introduction to Gait Analysis Certificate
- Performance Training Solutions Low Back Pain Course – Level 4 Reps Entry
- Sports Therapy UK Electrotherapy Diploma
- Kinesio Taping Association International – Level 1, 2 and 3 Certificate’s (Fundamental & Advanced Level)
- Functional Movement Taping Level 2 with ‘Rock Tape UK’
- RockBlades IASTM Qualification with ‘Rock Tape UK’
- FMT Cupping Qualification with ‘Rock Tape UK’
- Oxford School of Sports Massage – 1 Day Taping and Sports (Athletic) Strapping Qualification
- Physio UK – Tendinopathy: Forget the recipes and learn how to rehabilitate tendons (1 Day)
- Gravity UK Post Rehab Course
- Gateway Workshops – 1 Day Accredited Diploma Course in Manual Lymphatic Drainage
- Gateway Workshops – 1 Day Accredited Diploma Course in Myofascial Release Massage
- Gateway Workshops – 1 Day Accredited Diploma Course in Advanced and Deep Tissue Massage
- Gateway Workshops – 1 Day Accredited Diploma Course in Indian Head Massage
- Gateway Workshops – 1 Day Accredited Diploma Course in Hand, Arm, Leg and Feet Massage
FITNESS / SPORT SPECIFIC QUALIFICATIONS
- Rugby Football Union (RFU) Coaching Awards Level One and Level Two
- Rugby Football Union (RFU) Entry Level Referee Award (ELRA)
- The Football Association Level One and Level Two Certificates in Coaching Football
- UK Athletics Coaching Award Level One
- Optimum Life Fitness Performance Boxing and Advanced Performance Boxing
- Boxercise Association Boxercise and Kickboxercise Instructor Course
- Boxercise Association Personal Trainer Course
- Juice Performance MMA Fitness Course
- The Football Association Basic Referee Course
- The Football Association Child Protection and Best Practise
COMPLETED ONLINE TRAINING COURSES
- Self Myofascial Release (Developed by Ian O’Dwyer)
- Active Isolated Stretching / Contract Relax Stretching (Developed by Annette Lang)
- Flexibility Highways (Developed by Chuck Wolf)
- Integrated Training Progressions (Developed by Annette Lang)
- Understanding Diabetes (Developed by Jane Frank)
- First Class First Aid – Emergency First Aid at Work (1 Day Course)
- The Football Association and St Johns Ambulance Emergency First Aid
- Basic Foundation Certificate in Food Hygiene
BOOK YOUR FREE 30 MINUTE TASTER SESSION NOW
Please note that is not compulsory to be a member of the Junction gym in Broadstone or the Lifewise gym in Bournemouth to train with us. Unfortunately, our taster session booking options are not open to existing or previous SB Fitness clients irrespective of any training preference changes. Only 1 appointment can be made at any-time.