Brown rice bibimbap bowls recipe
Meaning ‘mixed rice’, Bibimbap is a Korean dish traditionally served in a hot stone bowl that’s filled with white rice, which crisps up on the bottom.
Prep Time 20 mins
Cook Time 40 mins
Total Time 1 hr
This veggie-friendly version is topped with sliced vegetables, pickles, chilli sauce and egg, and is as gloriously colourful as it is delicious.
Servings: 4 people
Calories: 491 kcal
Author: Jordan Love
- 1/2 tbsp groundnut oil x2
- 2 large sweetcorn cobs
- 125 g shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cm piece of ginger, peeled and finely sliced
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 4 medium eggs
- 150 g mangetout
- 100 g pickled red cabbage, drained
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil (optional)
- 2 packs 250g microwave wholegrain rice, cooked to pack instructions
- 150 g carrot spaghetti or shredded carrot
- 2 tbsp chopped peanuts
- 3 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
- 4 tbsp chilli sauce, plus extra to serve
- Rub 1 tbsp groundnut oil over the sweetcorn, season and put on a baking tray. Grill on a medium-high heat, turning every 90 seconds for 6 minutes, or until evenly browned. Keep warm.
- In a frying pan, heat 1 tbsp groundnut oil. Add the mushrooms and fry for 2 minutes, then the ginger and fry for a further 3 minutes. Add 1 tbsp soy sauce and tip into a bowl. Keep warm.
- Wipe out the pan. Add 1/2 tbsp groundnut oil, crack in 2 eggs and fry over a medium heat. Once the whites are set,* remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining eggs.
- Meanwhile, in a pan of simmering water, blanch the mangetout for 2 minutes, or until just tender. Drain well and toss with the sesame oil, if using, and 1 tbsp soy sauce.
- Cook the rice following pack instructions. To serve, divide the rice between 4 bowls. Shave the sweetcorn kernels from the cobs and divide between the bowls. Mix the carrots with the peanuts and 1 tbsp soy sauce, then add to the bowls. Add the rest of the veg in segments, top each with a fried egg, spring onions and 1 tbsp chilli sauce, with extra to serve.
The Junction Sports and Leisure Centre
Station Approach, Broadstone
Poole, Dorset BH18 8AX
Lifewise Gym YMCA Bournemouth
56 Westover Rd
Bournemouth, Dorset BH1 2BS
SB Fitness 01202 282726
Contact Us Here
Monday – Friday: 06:00 – 22:00
Saturday: 07:00 – 18:00
Sunday: 08:00 – 18:00