Avocado tostadas recipe
Bring the heat to your weekend brunch with these Mexican-inspired tostadas, layered with black beans, fiery chilli and creamy avocado.
Topped with perfectly poached eggs and a drizzle of hot sauce, they take lazy Sundays to a whole new level.
Prep Time 15 mins
Cook Time 10 mins
Total Time 25 mins
Servings: 4 people
Calories: 339 kcal
Author: Jordan Love
- 4 spring onions, trimmed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 400 g tin black beans, drained
- 1 ripe avocado, halved and stoned
- 1 lime, half juiced, half cut into wedges
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander, plus extra leaves to serve
- 4 small soft corn and flour tortillas
- 75 g feta, crumbled (optional)
- 4 tsp hot sauce, or to taste
- 4 eggs
- Finely slice the pale green parts of the spring onions and set aside. Finely chop the white parts of the spring onions and put in a frying pan with the olive oil. Set the pan over a low heat and cook the onions, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the cumin and a pinch of salt and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the drained black beans, heat through for a minute or two, then remove from the heat, season well and crush the beans with the back of a wooden spoon to make a mash.
- Using a fork, mash the avocado flesh with the juice of half a lime, half the sliced chilli and the chopped coriander. Season well.
- To poach the eggs, fill a deep frying pan with water at least 5cm deep. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. Crack the eggs into the water, leaving sufficient space between each, and leave to poach for 4 minutes, until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny in the centre. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen towel.
- Rinse and dry the frying pan and return to a medium heat. Toast the tortillas for a minute each side, in batches if necessary, or until crisp.
- Spread each tortilla with the black bean mixture, followed by a spoonful of crushed avocado. Top with a poached egg and a scattering of sliced spring onion, sliced chilli, extra coriander leaves, crumbled feta (if using) and hot sauce to taste. Slice the remaining half lime into 4 wedges to serve.
The Junction Sports and Leisure Centre
Station Approach, Broadstone
Poole, Dorset BH18 8AX
Lifewise Gym YMCA Bournemouth
56 Westover Rd
Bournemouth, Dorset BH1 2BS
SB Fitness 01202 282726
Contact Us Here
Monday – Friday: 06:00 – 22:00
Saturday: 07:00 – 18:00
Sunday: 08:00 – 18:00