Summer One Pot Chicken Stew
One pots are not just for winter, just adjust the vegetables that you choose and you can have a light and summery chicken stew. There are so many nutritional benefits to eating chicken, chicken stock and peas.
Nutritional highlights of this summer seasonal diet dish – If you’re looking for a great source of lean, low fat protein, this bird is the word. The protein in chicken lends itself to muscle growth and development, and help support a healthy body weight and aid weight loss.
If you are at all tempted to add home made chicken stock to your dish there are many more benefits from the stock itself, especially the fact that it is much lower in salt than stock cubes or pots. If the prospect of making chicken stock is scary, don’t worry you can just pop a carcass left over from your Sunday roast into a slow cooker, cover with water and leave for a few hours.
Have you ever wondered why people tell you to enjoy chicken broth when you’re ill? It’s because chicken broth is the health-boosting-superhero to turn to when you’re feeling under the weather. It’s packed with goodness: healing and protecting your gut, increasing immunity, battling inflammation and it has amazing nutritional value.
Peas are low fat but high everything else. A cup of peas has less than 100 calories but lots of protein, fibre and micro-nutrients. Peas contain high amounts of a health-protective polyphenol called coumestrol. A study in Mexico City determined you only need 2 milligrams per day of this phytonutrient to prevent stomach cancer. A cup of peas has at least 10. Peas also contain high-levels of antioxidants to keep you young!!
Serves 4 people
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500g leeks, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 8 chicken thighs, boned. if you would like to reduce the fat content further remove the skins too.
- 500g new potatoes cut into quarters.
- 350ml chicken stock (Preferably home made)
- 350g Petit Pois
- Heat a large casserole dish over a medium heat and add the olive oil.
- If you are keeping the skin on the chicken brown the skins in the pan now and remove after 10 mins.
- Add the leaks Garlic and Thyme, cover and cook gently for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken into the dish with the potatoes.
- Pour over the chicken stock, cover and gently bubble for 35 minutes.
- Season to taste and serve.