Greek lamb with smoked aubergine & minty broad beans
Lean red meat delivers iron and B vitamins in this protein-packed dinner, with aubergine purée as a delicious alternative to mash.
- 1 Aubergine
- Zest and juice 1/2 lemon (plus wedges to serve)
- 2 large Garlic Cloves (finely grated)
- 1 tsp Fresh Oregano (or 1/2 dried oregano)
- 2 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (plus 1/2 tsp)
- 2 Lean Lamb Leg Steaks (about 100g/4oz each, all visible fat removed)
- 100 g Baby Broad Beans (Podded Weight) (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tbsp Greek Bio Yogurt
- 2 tsp Tahini
- 12 Mint Leaves (roughly torn)
- Turn on your hob’s largest gas flame and cook the aubergine directly over it for 7-8 mins, using tongs to turn it every 2 mins, until it is soft and the skin has charred. You can do this on the barbecue or under a hot grill if you don’t have a gas hob. Allow to cool a little.
- Mix the lemon zest, half the garlic, the oregano, some black pepper and 1/2 tsp oil, then use to coat the lamb steaks. Boil the broad beans for 4 mins.
- Put the aubergine on a large plate and carefully remove and discard the skin. Use a knife and fork to finely chop the flesh, which should now be soft and pulpy. Tip into a bowl with the remaining garlic, the yogurt, tahini and some seasoning, and stir well.
- Heat the griddle or barbecue and cook the lamb for 5 mins, turning once. Meanwhile, mix the beans with the lemon juice, remaining olive oil and the mint leaves. Spoon the aubergine purée onto plates and scatter round the minty beans. Top with the lamb and serve with lemon wedges.
The Junction Sports and Leisure Centre
Station Approach, Broadstone
Poole, Dorset BH18 8AX
Lifewise Gym YMCA Bournemouth
56 Westover Rd
Bournemouth, Dorset BH1 2BS
SB Fitness 01202 282726
Contact Us Here
Monday – Friday: 06:00 – 22:00
Saturday: 07:00 – 18:00
Sunday: 08:00 – 18:00